Sunday, May 31, 2009

Arrival in Quito

I'm in Quito! I made it here last night without any trouble....except that we had to deplane wearing face masks as a precaution against the swine flu. We arrived fairly late at night, so I only saw the city in the dark. But what I did see reminded me of sights from Peru. (I went there with my dad when I was in 3rd grade.) The houses are gated - a lot of people have a fence and/or a line of shrubs surrounding their property. Just like in Peru, shops are also gated at night - like in a mall after closing time. There's also a different smell - not bad by any means, but different.
The family (the McFarlands) that I am living with is great! They are incredibly welcoming; I think I am going to enjoy living with them. They have one daughter at home, who is about to finish 8th grade - I look forward to getting to know her too. I have my own living area, "The Cave" as the McFarlands call it. It is in the backyard, unattached from the rest of the house. I have my own bedroom and bathroom. The sun streams in all day and when it is clear, I have a view of one of the mountain ranges that enclose the city. This is going to be a great adventure!


mi casita - my little house


my room

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura!
    Wow! Your "digs" look awesome! Do the McFarlands host students on a regular basis?
    We are very excited to follow your adventure this summer. We'll be praying for you daily!
    Love,
    Trish & Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes..The McFarlands do host students when they can. I am so grateful that they have opened their home to me this summer. Thanks for your prayers! They are needed and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete