Sunday, June 28, 2009

Shell - Welcome to the Jungle


Our Group

Ok, we weren't really in the jungle, but it's as close as we will get this summer. HCJB has a hospital and a mission compound in Shell, 5 hours SE of Quito. At 3000 feet, it is much warmer there than it is in Quito. I sent 7 day there, Thursday to Thursday. To summarize my time there, here's a list of "firsts."

This week was the first time I have:
1. Climbed behind a waterfall
2. Driven a 4-wheeler
3. Had cheese in my hot chocolate

4. Heard wild monkeys chattering
5. Taken a steaming hot shower
(it wasn't the first time in my life, but the first time in a long time)
6. Ate fresh maracuya
(a delicious fruit that is abundant here)
7. Climbed a tree, picked lemons, made fresh-squeezed lemonade
8. Taken an aerobics class led by a man in the military


Maracuya - those are the insides in the bowl

I guess some of this could use some explanation. The first three days there, all the interns and our leaders, were in Shell. On our way there we hiked to a gorgeous waterfall. In addition to simply looking at it, we climbed up a small crawlspace cut into the rock that led to an overlook feet from the pounding waterfall. Of course we were drenched, but it was a beautiful view of the falls and the water below. The next day, we drove four wheelers up to the top of a mountain. How incredible! The views of the valley below were breathtaking. I guess my breath also might have been taken away because it took me a while to get used to driving. With switchbacks on the side of a cliff, I learned to drive well (and keep away from danger) quickly. To warm up (it was cold on the top of the mountain), we had hot chocolate. However, it is common in the area we were in to put a soft, homemade cheese in the hot chocolate. I tried it, but I think that I will stick to traditional hot chocolate!

After the other interns left, our task as engineering students was to survey the land around the hospital
. They need a new wastewater treatment system, so we needed to know the characteristics and layout of the available land. Never having done a large scale survey before made this surprisingly challenging. "Jungle" as we called it, covered most of the area. There were trees, reeds, and ferns reaching far over our heads. The guys hacked paths through the jungle, while I stayed safely away from their machetes. After a week of work, we finally had all the land surveyed.


1. Surveying (that's me!)
2. Adeline sharpening a machete

When we weren't surveying, we had time for some other activities. We bought and ate lots of fresh fruit. I love that most fruits are always in season! We went swimming in a pool formed by a dyke. It was a hot day and there were lots of people there, which made people watching a lot of fun. I went to an aerobics class. It was all in Spanish and led by a man in the military....and so I spent lots of time laughing at myself. An engineering couple who works for HCJB and lives in Shell has a 9 month old baby. I enjoyed playing with him....he's the cutest, happiest baby that I have ever seen! In the evenings, I could often be found relaxing in a hammock.

We also had the privelege of getting to know several other missionaries who live in Shell. One of my favorite things about the trip was hearing people's stories. It is interesting to hear how people get involved in mission....when they heard and heeded God's call and how He led them to Ecuador. And stories of their time in the mission field....I wish I could remember all of them - there
are some incredible testaments to God's faithfulness and His creativity in the ways He decides to work in people's lives!

The suspension bridge leading to the guesthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment